Spinach, Sweet Potato & Lentil Dhal
25 . 01 . 21
Whether you’re a fully fledged vegan or trying something different for January, you can never have enough tasty recipes! Our restaurants may be closed but our chef’s have been busy coming up with a scrumptious vegan recipe for you to try! Give it a go and let us know how it turns out.
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 red onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
Thumb-sized piece ginger, peeled and finely chopped
1 red chilli, finely chopped
1½ tsp ground turmeric
1½ tsp ground cumin
2 sweet potatoes (about 400g/14oz), cut into even chunks
250g red split lentils
600ml vegetable stock
80g bag of spinach
4 spring onions, sliced on the diagonal, to serve
½ small pack of Coriander leaves roughly chopped, to serve
- Heat 1 tbsp sesame oil in a wide-based pan with a tight-fitting lid.
- Add 1 finely chopped red onion and cook over a low heat for 10 mins, stirring occasionally, until softened.
- Add 1 crushed garlic clove, a finely chopped thumb-sized piece of ginger and 1 finely chopped red chilli, cook for 1 min, then add 1½ tsp ground turmeric and 1½ tsp ground cumin and cook for 1 min more.
- Turn up the heat to medium, add 2 sweet potatoes, cut into even chunks, and stir everything together so the potato is coated in the spice mixture.
- Tip in 250g red split lentils, 600ml vegetable stock and some seasoning
- Bring the liquid to the boil, then reduce the heat, cover and cook for 20 mins until the lentils are tender and the potato is just holding its shape.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning, then gently stir in the 80g spinach. Once wilted, top with the 4 diagonally sliced spring onions and a sprinkle of chopped coriander leaves to serve
- Alternatively, allow to cool completely, then divide between airtight containers and store in the fridge for a healthy lunchbox.