27 . 07 . 21
Grow yourself a windowsill friend!
What you’ll need:
- Grass seed (preferably fast growing)
- Sawdust or compost
- Plant trays
- Old tights (not opaque as grass needs to grow through them
- Craft pipe cleaners
- Rubber bands or string
- Googly eyes stuck onto cocktail sticks
How to make a grass caterpillar
- Cut off each leg, and toe end of the tights.
- Tie a tight knot in one end of the tight tube.
- Fill the tights with the saw dust, compost or a mix, to create the body for your caterpillar. Make sure the tights are filled and keep filling to your desired length.
- On the inside of the tights, sprinkle grass seed along one side of the caterpillar, then tie a knot in the end.
- Now that you have made the main body for your caterpillar, wrap rubber bands or string around the body to create sections.
- Add your googly eyes, legs and antennae to the caterpillar using the pipe cleaners.
- Lay the caterpillar in a tray with shallow water in so that the sawdust soaks it up. When the caterpillar is watered, remove from water and place in a dry plant tray.
- Place your caterpillar on the windowsill and remember to water your caterpillar once or twice a week.
- As the grass seed grows it will poke through the tights, making a hairy caterpillar. Feel free to give them a haircut!