Get your dose of Vitamin G with National Gardening Week.
22 . 04 . 21
How are you going to be getting your Vitamin G?
Here at Rosebourne, we will be supporting National Gardening Week (Monday 26th April – Sunday 2nd May), the national campaign spearheaded by the Royal Horticultural Society. This year, make sure you celebrate the feel-good power of gardens and ensure you get your dose of Vitamin G (green) by taking a few minutes each day to connect with nature.
Research shows how contact with nature improves our sense of personal wellbeing and how plants and gardening positively impact our physical and mental health. An RHS study in collaboration with the University of Sheffield published last year* showed that adding plants to a paved front garden could reduce stress levels as much as 8 weekly mindfulness sessions. Meanwhile, recent Harvard research* showed that 30 minutes of gardening can burn as many calories as playing badminton or practising yoga.
So, with this in mind, here are a few ideas from RHS for you to do so that you can get your dose of Vitamin G.
- Take a mindful moment in your garden or local green space: pause for a minute to appreciate the new green leaves, listen for birdsong or enjoy the scents of spring blooms to refresh your mind and senses.
- Bring the outside in: if you’re working from home, add a green, leafy houseplant to your desk or near your work area – studies show this can reduce stress, increase productivity and attention span and improve reaction speed!
- Pep up your plate: have a go at growing some quick herbs, salad leaves, or microgreens on a windowsill, which can be ready to harvest in just a few weeks to add a burst of green goodness and home-grown flavour to your meals.
- Plant up a container to make you smile: choose a combination of colourful or scented flowers, tactile grasses, and lush foliage to create a cheerful spring display to greet you whenever you leave or return home.
- Green up your every day: think about how you can connect with nature in your day-to-day activities – could you walk or cycle through the park on the way to the shops, have lunch al fresco, or do a workout in the garden?
Share your support of National Gardening Week with us by tagging Rosebourne* in your photos and using the hashtag #NationalGardeningWeek.
As always, if you would like any advice and information about what to plant and when, visit us in store where our team are always happy to help.
For further inspiration, you can visit the RHS website here: https://www.rhs.org.uk/get-involved/national-gardening-week/
*Follow Rosebourne on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram